Sunday, August 12, 2007

Why Blog?

This is a question I have asked for a while. I just wasn't sure about the amount of time it might take me to write something or if I would even have anything much to write, but when Brent started blogging, and predominately about the church plant, I began reading his blog and then others and found that I kind of enjoyed it. Also, it occurred to me that Brent does not blog much about our family (I'm not being critical, just factual) and some people might want to hear how we are doing or what we are doing. So, I decided to try this whole blogging thing. If I blog once and never again, you will know it was not for me in the end.

So, we are pretty settled in Bakersfield, and we really like it here, despite all of the negative things we had heard. It is hot, but we really do not think it was any worse than Oklahoma. We love our home and have made some great friends! We do continue to pray for friends for James. He has a friend, but he will be going to high school, not junior high, so at this point, James will enter school not knowing anyone there. That is a little overwhelming to him, especially because the junior high has 1200 students in two grades, just a little more than his previous school, which had 80 in all grades (pre-k through 12). We just pray for and with him about it. I have to say that it is a little anxiety provoking for me as well. I do not believe I should be home schooling this year, and I know that Christian School is not an option, but sometimes I just want to shelter the kids from all that is out there, and keep them huddled inside the house. I am excited to get involved in the schools and continue to pray for opportunities there. And, if something happens and I need to pull them from school, my experience last year homeschooling, showed me that I can do it, which I did not think before.

Jason has one great friend who will be at the same school, so I am not as worried about him, at least not socially. Academically, however, I am a little nervous. I still question whether or not he is ready for fourth grade, but they will not hold him back based on my recommendation. They have to have a recommendation from a school teacher, but he does not have one other than me because he was homeschooled last year. So, what they do is put him in fourth grade; then if he is not successful, at 30 days, they will put him back in 3rd grade. Obviously, not the best thing to do for a child socially. Again, if that happens, I will just homeschool him in 3rd grade again and put him in fourth grade when the next school year begins.

As for David, they do not have pre-kindergarten here, so I looked into preschool - terribly expensive. One place I called was$220.00/month for two half days/week (8 a.m. to noon). Another was $190.00/month for two half days but they did include breakfast!!! The other was $120.00/week for three days. I never asked if it was all day or just a half day, but I assume all day at that price. Anyway you look at it, it is not in our budget. So, I have a couple more phone calls to make to see if the Mother's Day Out programs are any less expensive, but there are not very many because most women work in this city. I guess we will do play groups and some homeschooling. As crazy and active as he is, he is pretty bright, and I think if I work with him, he might enjoy what he can learn.

There's nothing to report on Sarah as far as school goes - thank goodness, she is growing too fast as it is. She is talking so much and is so sweet. She does, however, display a rather spoiled two year old side some of the time. She spends a lot more time on her bed now than she did a month ago! Like her mother, she is not a morning person and mornings are the worst. She gets mad if her cereal is not served just right. But for the most part, we just enjoy watching her and listening to her.

I am excited for the week because I have made some connections with some social workers here and will be volunteering at a youth workshop this week. I don't know what to really expect from it, so I will try to explain more later, but I believe it is for teenage foster children to help them learn different skills but first to address some of the baggage in their lives. I miss doing social work sometimes, and this will give me an opportunity to be involved in that. I am hoping to connect with a teenage girls who I can then mentor.

God is good. He provides for us in so many ways, both big and small. He has granted me this opportunity this week, and I know he will provide friends for James and direct Jason's academic path, as well as give me the energy to keep up with David without a break. He has provided friends for our family. He has provded for us financially. I just definitely feel blessed!

No comments: