Sunday, August 19, 2007

School starts tomorrow!

The boys start school tomorrow. It's been a stressful day as a result. James got up early this morning and attended the junior high group at one of the churches here. I encouraged it because I was hoping for one more chance for him to connect with some kids who might attend his school. It did not turn out so well. James came out of class upset. He said that the kids made fun of him for answering questions. He said that when they asked questions, he would wait to see if anyone else answered, but after some silence, he answered. He said each time the kids laughed at him. He said, "If kids think I am a geek at church, they are really going to think I am a geek at school." Now, as an irrational mother, I was just heart broken and wanted to go shake some kids, but as a rational mother, I thought that he may have misinterpreted something innocent. Unfortunately, the youth pastor was not there today, and I did not know who taught, so I couldn't go and ask about the situation. It just got James down. It was a bummer! We spent some time tonight praying and reminding him that God is in control and cares about his relationships and will provide and will also teach him during this time. I know he understands that in his head, but it's always hard to transfer to the heart. It was a good conversation, but it is so hard for me. I want to take him to school tomorrow and personally find him a friend, but obviously that would not work! So, if you read this, say some prayers for James tomorrow. Jason was doing pretty well at bedtime, so I think he will be okay, but he could use some prayers also. We all could! It may be a tough morning. I am going to walk Jason to school with his friends, Anthony and Carissa, and their mother. Brent is going to take James to school. I will let you know how their days go. Thanks for your prayers!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

oh beky i am so sorry! my eyes welled up with tears as i know the heartbreak that must've beenfor both of you. it is a cruel world

Kevin Morrison said...

Hi Becky,
I just finished dropping the kids off at their schools. I was so proud... I was one of the few parents not peeling a crying kindergartner or preschooler off their legs.

I know who was teaching at church on Sunday if you want to pursue it, but it sounds like you handled it well together. Layton told me he was nervous about meeting new people in kindergarten. I told him that being nervous is okay, but to know that God wants you to meet these new people, and he wants them to meet you... so God will be with you the whole time. He just smiled, which is good enough for me. :-)

Courtney said...

Becky, How did it go?!