Thursday, September 13, 2007

Yay for Best Buy and Canon!!

Real quickly I need to share this fabulous thing that happened today. Then I have to clean for a couple more hours before going to bed. Brent's parents will be here tomorrow, and I still have a lot to do to get ready! But . . . I am so excited about this. Monday I took David and Sarah to this farm that is in town to see and pet the animals with some other stay at home moms. When we got home, I dropped our digital camera on the kitchen floor, and it broke. We bought it two years ago at Best Buy for somewhere around $500.00. We had saved Birthday and Christmas money in order to buy it. Brent's pretty particular about stuff, and we shopped and read all sorts of reviews before buying it and spent extra money to get the exact one that we wanted. I knew we bought the extended warranty, but I was not 100% sure it worked if you dropped the camera, so I was nervous because we do not have the money to replace a camera right now, especially not for the exact one Brent wanted. So, today I took the camera to Best Buy. Now, on the drive to the store, the sinful, fallen part of me was trying to figure out how I could tell Best Buy about dropping it without ever really admitting to dropping it, if you know what I mean. How could I make that warranty apply if there was a clause against dropping it. But, I am an honest person and felt very convicted that it would be wrong to do anything but simply fess up, so when I got to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, I told the guy that I dropped it and asked if he would check to see if the warranty covered accidents. He looked up my account and made a phone call and asked a couple questions. When he got off the phone, he said that Canon products are covered with an exchange program. I could go find a camera that cost the same amount (or about the same amount) as the Camera I was returning (when I bought the camera new). He then told me it was $475.00 and that the updated version of my camera was about that price, but with 8 megapixels instead of 5. So, tonight I have a brand new camera that is better than the one I already had. I took it to the kids' first soccer practices and enjoyed it very much! I want to kick myself for those thoughts of dishonesty coming into my head. I have a great example to use with my kids also. They always need to hear how honesty pays off. This world too often makes it seem that dishonesty is better.

I can't say enough good about Best Buy or Canon! Well, I off to continue the cleaning process.

2 comments:

Rick and Kylee said...

Great story...so where are the pictures?

Becky said...

I'm bad at that part! I will try to post some from our trip with Stephen and Joyce to the giant Sequoias.