Sunday, October 19, 2008

Back in Time

I have seen so many amazing friends over the last 3 days, and I have enjoyed all of my time with each of them. Last night I was visiting with some of my old friends from Bartlesville! We were reminiscing about old times in college and beyond and just enjoying some good laughs. It was wonderful! While I am grateful for my new friends and relationships in Bakersfield, I really miss my friends here! It is stressful to come back for several reasons, but I think the biggest is that it reminds me of what I am missing. I can put it out of my mind when I am gone and busy. While I cannot imagine ever moving back, I really miss a lot of people.

Just driving around town takes me back through the past 17 years of my life - different memories pop into my mind as I pass different locations while driving down the road - from different places that Brent and I went when we were dating to old places of employment and old friends and fun memories I have with my kids. I think about all of it and remember so many good times. Mixed in with all of that were tough times, too, but I don't seem to remember those as much. I guess that is good.

Tonight I also heard some news that is still just making my stomach hurt. Things change so much in so little time. Sometimes I wish I could just go back to when things were simpler. I doubt back then they seemed simple, but right now my memories are simple. I remember life being slower and people being happier. I wonder in ten years if I will look back and see things that I am experiencing now differently than how I feel right now as I go through life. I wish I could take people back with me and remind them of what things looked like back then - marriages, friendships, work relationships. Change is good (although not all change), but change is also hard. Sometimes I wish some things didn't have to change so much.

And yet I know God allows change to grow us and to prepare us to do His work, so I know I must accept it and not dwell on what used to be.

4 comments:

Kipplyn said...

Becky, I am sorry that I didn't get to see you again this time. Sounds like I missed a great time! Glad you are doing well.

Courtney said...

I said the SAME thing to Jeff when I got home. I miss you when you are gone for sure, but life kind of just has a way of moving through. But when you are here and we get to have face to face conversation, I realize just how much I really miss you and your friendship...:(

I hope to see you this evening...love ya

Dalene said...

I think the only long-term solution to this problem is to start planning our retirement NOW.

It's nice to have a friend with whom you can laugh until you cry. I also ALWAYS appreciate your straight-forward approach and candid insight.

We love you guys!!! Hey...at least we know we'll be visiting the boys in college together in about 5 years. (That's not too long from now!)

Rick and Kylee said...

Beck, way to go with the job. Congratulations! When you drove around, did you pass the house you lived in when you killed my dog? That was sad for me